Up Diary 01 Diary 02 Diary 03 Diary 04 Diary 05 Diary 06

The Upgrade Process
(January 13 - February 10, 1999)

Tuesday, January 13, 1999. Doug Sanders moves Interlude to Viking Boat Works for upgrades since Bill is tied up at the office.  We've chosen Viking at Doug's suggestion since he feels that Erik and the crew at Viking are the best in the area for boat maintenance.  We are adding a 45hp hydraulic bow thruster, a power-rotation crane for the dinghy, a bottom job, spurs, and we're having the third stateroom, that currently has three single berths, changed to an office with a work counter and a desk. 

Friday, January 22, 1999.  A 14" hole is cut through the bow for the bow thruster.  Bill saves a small piece of the plug and forms it into a paper weight.   The plug is more than an inch thick so Interlude should be durable even in heavy seas.  The hole that remains is big enough to climb into the boat through...and a little scary.   The stateroom is dismantled.  Mike, the carpenter at Viking, is providing us with some ideas of how to reassemble it into an office.  They're good ideas.

Tuesday, January 26, 1999. (Jan's Birthday!) The tube is placed in the big hole in the bow and glassed in place.  About 15 layers of roving and glass will be used to anchor the tube and the bow thruster.  At least now the hole won't leak any more.

Sunday, January 31, 1999.  All personal possessions are removed from the old Interlude and staged at our home for transfer to the new Interlude. I-1, the old Interlude, pronounced "eye-one", has not yet sold, but has been moved to the Tierra Verde Resort and Marina where it will be easier for Doug to show, and out of the way at our dock in Bayway Isles.

Monday, February 1, 1999.  The name "Interlude" now replaces the  "Am-FM" on the stern, and the boat looks much better!  Even though it is I-2 ("eye-two"), we'll call her "Interlude" just as we did her predecessor. 

Tuesday, February 2, 1999. The bottom is sand blasted for repainting.  This is a surprise since the bottom appeared to be sound during the survey in Ft. Lauderdale.   However the extended time out of the water has caused the bottom paint to flake off.  We've checked with the previous owner, with the yard in Michigan where he had it painted, and with the manufacturer of both the primer and the bottom paint--everyone is innocent.  It appears that the company which painted the boat mixed brands of primer and bottom paint.  Lesson #12,345:  don't mix brands of primer and bottom paint.   Nobody's responsible if they don't work together.  It's not a big deal but bottom paint is hundreds of dollars per gallon, and I-2 takes many gallons.  New ball game.

Otherwise, construction of the office is proceeding, the thruster tube is cut to size and glass work continues, and specifications for the replacement crane have been written and sent to the manufacturer. We'll leave the current crane at the yard.  Eric may be able to sell it.  We are replacing it because the old crane did not have power-assisted rotation.  The first time Bill launched the dinghy, the boat listed just slightly but enough to cause the crane to spin rapidly 180 degrees.  He could not pull the dinghy back in (it weighs more than a thousand pounds) and needed the help of another burly person.  We need to be able to handle the boat by ourselves, so we'll replace the crane with one that has power-assisted rotation.

Wednesday, February 10, 1999. Work progresses.  The bottom is painted, the office is coming along.  We're having Yacht-Tech install stabilized satellite TV.  Spurs were installed yesterday.  The sat phone is being installed today, also by Yacht-Tech.